Now that the only one of you with any decency has departed the race, I feel compelled to make the following assertions to you:
- I will support keeping government out of our boardrooms the day you support keeping it out of our bedrooms.
- I will believe in corporate personhood the day you make corporations subject to all the restrictions and penalties imposed by law as well as the benefits conferred by it – up to and including the death penalty. Speaking of which…
- I will believe that you are pro-life the day you vote to repeal not only Roe v. Wade, but also the death penalty and the Second Amendment. I will believe you are pro-life when you stop trying to gut the EPA and start trying to gut Halliburton Corp. I will believe you are pro-life when you stop saying “Kill America’s enemies” like a brainwashed jihadi.
- I will believe you are pro-family the day you do something which benefits all America’s families rather than merely the ones you personally find acceptable.
- I will believe that you are protecting the institution of marriage when a committed couple of 30 years can finally get married for love but Kim Kardashian can’t do it to get a headline.
- I will believe that you support the free market when you stop rigging it in favor of your campaign donors.
- I will believe that you want to rein in government spending when the Department Of Defense has to publicly disclose all of its accounting.
- I will believe that you are in favor of individuals’ freedom when you begin to not only respect but insist upon the separation of church and state.
- I will believe that your party is worthy of governing when it is no longer (by its own admission!) prioritizing defeating the opposition over bettering the lives of Americans.
- Last but by no means least, I will consider voting for you when you stop telling me what’s bad about the other guy and start telling me what’s good about you – assuming there’s anything to tell.
President Obama is far from perfect, but as things currently stand, he is still head and shoulders above all of you.